Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Teaching Critical Literacy


What Is Critical Literacy? 
 

I read, "Teaching about Language, Power, and Text: A Review of Classroom Practices that Support Critical Literacy" by Edward Berhman.

In this article, Behrman outlines several components of critical literacy instruction, including:
(a) reading supplementary texts
(b) reading multiple texts
(c) reading from a resistant perspective
(d) producing countertexts
(e) conducting student-choice research projects; and
(f) taking social action.

When I reflect back on my own K-12 experience, I can think of only one teacher who did any of these things, and that was my AP European History teacher, Miss LeBaron.I remember that, while I was in high school, I was profoundly inspired by Joan of Arc. She was my personal hero. I read books about her and had drawings of her in an inspirational journal, including having drawings of her for my bookmarks.

Anyway, I remember that we came into class one day, and I saw that we would be discussing Joan of Arc. I said to Miss LeBaron, "Oh, I LOVE her!" and she immediately put me on the side in which I had to be a prosecuting attorney against her.

I appreciated the experience because it forced me to look at Joan of Arc from a different perspective. Although I still completely loved her before, during, and after the lesson, I respected Miss LeBaron for making me take a critical view.

However, as I read this list, I don't think that all items on the list necessarily relate to critical literacy. I think it depends on HOW they're taught. For instance, I had a tenth-grade English teacher who used to say, "This is not a democracy. This is a theocracy, and I am God." I think statements like this do not foster critical literacy, in the sense that when a teacher calls himself God, he doesn't really invite you to question him. So even though we conducted student-choice research projects in his class, I still don't classify them as 'critical literacy' because it was done in the context of an authoritative, teacher-centered environment in which the teacher valued one right answer.

So, in sum, although I liked the article, I would take the recommendations with a grain of salt. I think some of the items on the list could lead to critical literacy instruction, but the classroom environment would have to be right for them to be TRUE critical literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment